“There’s no home like place” – L.W.
structures (such as the Simon Dale Hobbit House or Tony Wrench’s roundhouse), prefab and professionally build hobbit homes, or open-source, earth brick buildings. Documentary on building codes relevant for building these and other unusual structures. Small is beautiful
Take a look inside a bathroom where grapes and figs grow and tiny skinks live. Zoe and Dave Judge created a bathroom like no other for their off-grid Saltwater River house.
Posted by ABC Hobart on Monday, November 28, 2016
A picture is worth 1000 words. What if our structures were as focused on beauty as they were on cost and function? The true art is a balance between each of these and some of these are definitely not high on the function variable, but they do inspire me in terms of beauty. Now, imagine that these works of art also generate all their own power, process all their own waste, and harvest all their own water — those are some of the requirements to be certified a “living” building, a project that has certified a few buildings around the world and won the 2012 Buckminster Fuller prize.
Airbnb garden room in the Netherlands.
- gypsy wagons: some beautiful examples are here
- Lloyd Kahn’s books: Builders of the pacific coast ( http://www.shelterpub.com/_
builders/BPC-slideshow.html ). You can watch a slideshow of images from the book. Check out his other books as well.
- Lloyd House:
- Started out in conventional carpentry for 20 yrs or so, then shifted to natural building methods. A complete Master Builder of our time.
- check out this sauna he built (2 pix below)
- PollyWogg Holler, 25-acre bed & breakfast & eco-resort, located in Allegheny Mountains, West Virginia (800-291-9668): They make their own champagne, guest loft above sauna. (Homework: Handbuilt Shelter by Lloyd Kahn, p. 17-21)
- For WI, consider a Sod Iglu (Shelter, p. 151)
- El Remanso Lodge in Costa Rica, 185-acres of land, owned by a couple from Barcelona, Wins top sustainability awards.
Next articles in sequence:
This post has been read 6352 times.